2021 NBUA COVID Protocols:
- Members shall sign the Member Services Agreement before engaging in umpiring.
- Umpires will not come to games if sick, sneezing, coughing, or running a temperature. Umpires will not come to a game if they have been exposed to a person with COVID-19 within the past 14 days.
- Adults 65 years and older and people of any age who have serious underlying medical conditions are strongly encouraged to avoid large groups.
- Umpires are required to always wear facial masks according to state and local guidelines.
- Umpires are not to handle baseballs.
- Umpires are encouraged to ask for the middle copy of team lineup cards to reduce exposure.
- Umpires are encouraged to bring a small bottle of hand sanitizer with them onto the field in case of accidental exposure.
- Umpires shall maintain a 6-foot distance from their partners and coaches in the parking lot, at the plate meeting, during and after the contest.
- If an umpire tests positive for COVID during the season, they MUST immediately report this to the Assignor. Proper privacy regulations will be enforced. That individual would need to quarantine according to local guidelines and would be ineligible to participate until cleared.
- Upon learning of an umpire being exposed or testing positive of COVID-19, the NBUA will notify any partner they worked with as well as the teams participating in the games they worked. The NBUA will not release the name of the individual to anyone to ensure privacy.
Attached is a link to assist those who have yet to go into Arbiter & set up their ArbiterPay account. This needs to be done in order to receive payment for all School earnings. This shoulld get you there. Many of you have already completed this. Should take 5-10 minutes.
Many of you prefer to connect their ArbiterPay account directly to their ADP Wisely account. I recommend this. Below are the steps needed to get this done:
1. Open up your Wisely Account App.
2. Click on the three pancakes in the upper left corner.
3. Account Settings
4. Direct Deposit
5. You’ll need the Bank Name, Routing Number & Account Number in order to attach your Wisely account to your ArbiterPay account.
How Do I Register For An ArbiterPay Account (force.com)
Mark Richard Clough
The Clinic that was presented by the Luke Brian Tour last weekend has not yet been posted as videos. When they are, the video links will be posted on our members/training page. However, in the mean time, this is the link to their Youtube channel. Enjoy
As part of the clinic on February 14th, Tim Stevens gave a presentation on the National Federation of High School rules. He posted a number of power points during his presentation which can be found at http://debbieandtim.com/umpscare/
You must have the necessary software to display a Power Point presentation on your device in order to view these files.
These are pages of videos used in the February 13th clinic. Keep in mind, the umpires get all these plays right, you have to figure out why.
Plays at the Plate Link
Umps Care Donation Link
NBUA Umpires – The year 2021 NBUA training schedule includes an on-line Umpire Training Clinic hosted by Brian Hertzog – an NBUA alumus and current-day college umpire. Please see the bottom of this message for the Zoom link (to register for the clinic) and the agenda.
- This multi-day clinic will be supported by umpires from MLB, MiLB, and NCAA.
- The clinic starts on Friday 2/12/2021 at 5:30pm, continues on Saturday 2/13/2021 (morning and afternoon), and finishes on Sunday 2/14/2021 (morning and afternoon).
- The desired audience includes NBUA, SCBUA, PCUA, and other associations in Washington, Oregon, and Idaho.
- The clinic will be free to all participants – voluntary contributions will be accepted for Umps Care.
- The agenda consists of 5 sessions as shown below. Up to 5 sessions of training credit can be gained. Members can elect to attend any or all of the sessions, or none of the sessions.
- Friday evening 2/12/2021 @ 5:30pm
- Saturday morning 2/13/2021 @ 9:00am
30 minute lunch break starting at approx 11:30am-12:00noon
- Saturday afternoon 2/13/2021 – after lunch break
- Sunday morning 2/14/2021 @ 9:00am
30 minute lunch break starting at approx 11:30am-12:00noon
- Sunday afternoon 2/14/2021 – after lunch break
- Attendance is encouraged but not required. Members can elect to attend any or all of the sessions, or none of the sessions.
- Once you register, you are provided a Webinar ID which you will use to log-in any time during the weekend. Before the clinic starts, you will receive an email with the log-in link.
Please let me know if you have any questions or comments. Hope to see you on-line at the clinic!
Go to the members training page and clink on the Register links under the Video Link column. All links lead to the same registration page.
About the instructors (Video)
Online instruction is a new thing for the NBUA and our approach is evolving. We record each session and then, a day or two later we will be posting a link to the training session video on our training schedule page. This page can be found under the Members/Training menu option. A new column has been added to the schedule titled “Video Link” which contains the link to the video for that session.
The 2021 training schedule has just been published in the members section of the website. To view it look under Members/Training or follow this link.
This year the WIAA has pushed back the start of the baseball season to allow fall sports that were cancelled due to the pandemic to be played in the first quarter of the year. As a result, we expect the season to be at least two weeks late. Our training schedule reflects this delay.
As in past years a certain amount of the available training must be completed by each umpire to avoid a financial penalty. This varies by tier. For the new 2021 Apprentices, there will be 43.5 hours of training made available and they must complete 60% or 26.1 hours to meet this requirement. For the returning 2020 Apprentices (Ap2) and C-tier umpires 40.5 hours will be provided and they must complete 24.3 hours minimum. B-tier umpires will be offered 35.5 hours with a minimum of 15 hours necessary and A-tier and Tournament tier umpires will see 22.5 hours of instruction plus several opportunities to help with field mechanics and cage training that they may also count. They are asked to attend 5 sessions in this group.
This year all of our classroom training will be conducted online via the Teams application. We hope to send out links to each session just before they are to occur. This is a new system and there are sure to be bugs. If you find that you don’t have necessary links please contact Mark Clough (206) 265-1896 for Apprentice training sessions or Peyton Coffin (206) 280 8633 our member service and communications chair or Henry Von Jouanne (206) 795-0438 our training committee chair for help.